In an ambiguous statement that implies, although does not confirm, an imminent departure from the Emmy-winning series, Tambor referenced what he calls a “politicised atmosphere that seems to have afflicted our set”.
Transparent co-star Trace Lysette and a former assistant to Tambor have both come forward in recent weeks to accuse the show’s frontman of sexual harassment.
Transgender actress Lysette, who plays yoga instructor Shea, has alleged that Tambor made sexual remarks during filming and at one point thrust himself against her.
Tambor, 73, has repeatedly denied the allegations, which are all under investigation by Amazon Studios.
“Playing Maura Pfefferman on Transparent has been one of the greatest privileges and creative experiences of my life,” Tambor said in a statement.
“I’ve already made clear my deep regret if any action of mine was ever misinterpreted by anyone as being aggressive, but the idea that I would deliberately harass anyone is simply and utterly untrue.
“Given the politicised atmosphere that seems to have afflicted our set, I don’t see how I can return to Transparent.”
It is believed Tambor is yet to make a final decision as to whether he will return to the fifth season.
Transparent has been lauded for its portrayal of a family who discovers that the person they had known as their father is transgender.
The groundbreaking comedy series has scooped eight Emmys and two Golden Globes, including one for Tambor’s acting.
The allegations made against Tambor have put the show’s future in jeopardy.
Should Tambor part ways with Transparent, it would be the latest professional casualty of the anti-sexual harassment movement that is upending Hollywood.
Over the past few weeks, Kevin Spacey was fired from House Of Cards and Louis CK had a Netflix stand-up special show axed.
The star of Girls, Lena Dunham, has apologised for supporting a writer on the US TV series who has been accused of sexual assault.
Los Angeles police are investigating the accusation made against Murray Miller by actress Aurora Perrineau.
Ms Dunham initially said she was “confident” the accusation had been “misreported” but later said it was the wrong time to make such a statement.
Mr Miller has categorically denied Ms Perrineau’s claims, his lawyers say.
On Twitter on Saturday evening, Ms Dunham said she had “naively believed it was important to share my perspective”, but now accepted it was “absolutely the wrong time to come forward with such a statement”.
She added: “Every woman who comes forward deserves to be heard, fully and completely.”
Ms Perrineau told The Wrap that she had filed a report with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department on Friday, accusing Mr Miller of sexual assault in 2012 when she was 17.
The Hollywood Reporter quoted a department official as confirming that the report had been made and that Los Angeles police would conduct the investigation.
Ms Perrineau said that after a night socialising with Mr Miller and other people, she woke to find him on top of her.
“He was on top of me having sexual intercourse with me. At no time did I consent to any sexual contact with Murray,” she said in a statement.
Mr Miller’s lawyer, Don Walerstein, said in a statement: “Mr Miller categorically and vehemently denies Ms Perrineau’s outrageous claims. After being contacted several weeks ago by lawyers who – on Ms Perrineau’s behalf – sought substantial monetary damages from him, Mr Miller’s legal team gathered overwhelming evidence directly contradicting these false and offensive claims.”
However, Ms Perrineau’s mother, Britney, denied Mr Miller had ever been asked for monetary damages, Vanity Fair reported.
“During the windfall of deeply necessary accusations over the last few months in Hollywood, we have been thrilled to see so many women’s voices heard and dark experiences in this industry justified.
“It’s a hugely important time of change and, like every feminist in Hollywood and beyond, we celebrate.
“But during every time of change there are also incidences of the culture, in its enthusiasm and zeal, taking down the wrong targets. We believe, having worked closely with him for more than half a decade, that this is the case with Murray Miller.
“While our first instinct is to listen to every woman’s story, our insider knowledge of Murray’s situation makes us confident that sadly this accusation is one of the 3% of assault cases that are misreported every year. It is a true shame to add to that number, as outside of Hollywood women still struggle to be believed.
“We stand by Murray and this is all we’ll be saying about this issue.”
The second statement, tweeted hours later
“As feminists, we live and die by our politics, and believing women is the first choice we make every single day when we wake up.
“Therefore I never thought I would issue a statement publically supporting someone accused of sexual assault, but I naively believed it was important to share my perspective on my friend’s situation as it has transpired behind the scenes over the last few months.
“I now understand that it was absolutely the wrong time to come forward with such a statement and I am so sorry. We have been given the gift of powerful voices and by speaking out we were putting out thumb on the scale and it was wrong. We regret this decision with every fiber of our being.
“Every woman who comes forward deserves to be heard, fully and completely, and our relationship to the accused should not be part of the calculation anyone makes when examining her case.
“Every person and every feminist should be required to hear her. Under patriarchy, ‘I believe you’ is essential. Until we are all believed, none of us will be believed.
“We apologize to any women who have been disappointed.”
The 22-year-old suspect was detained in an operation based on intelligence suggesting fans had been targeted at some of the band’s previous gigs, said police.
Officers said the man was found to have 53 phones in his possession which are believed to have been stolen during a concert by the rock duo at The Arena Birmingham on Saturday night.
Police are now encouraging the band’s fans who had their phones stolen to contact them.
Detective Sergeant Jeff Clifford said: “Currently the vast majority of victims have been identified, but we urge anyone who attended the concert who is missing a phone to call 101. Log 671 19/11/17 being used to record new reports.
He added: “It’s an unfortunate reality that large crowds at concerts such as this make rich pickings for career criminals.
“We’re hot on the heels of these offenders but you can also reduce your chances of falling victim to such crimes by remaining extra vigilant when attending busy events.
“If you think you had your phone taken last night, please get in touch with us and we can check whether or not we have been able to recover it.”
The band, which has been praised by Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page as “absolutely riveting”, warned their fans on Facebook that their shows seemed to be being targeted by criminals.
“After reports of phone theft in Cardiff & Reading, we urge all fans attending our shows to be vigilant and to protect their personal property, particularly phones and wallets,” the band wrote.
“We shall be contacting all tickets holders and have asked the promoters to increase signage at venues highlighting this risk.
“Additionally, we shall be increasing venue security to specifically target the perpetrators and will be liaising with the police in this matter.
“If anyone sees anything suspicious at our shows please speak to the venue security.”
Singer Aled Jones has said he is “deeply sorry” for any upset caused after allegations about his behaviour, but denied any “inappropriate contact”.
Responding to newspaper claims of inappropriate “messages”, his spokesman said the Songs of Praise star accepted his behaviour more than a decade ago had been “occasionally juvenile”.
The spokesman said he had “voluntarily agreed not to go on the BBC whilst the matter is investigated”.
The BBC is not commenting on the story.
Mr Jones’s spokesman added that the allegations from a single female complainant of inappropriate messages and contact, reported in the Sun, did not relate to any broadcast work, and related to a matter more than 10 years ago.
The 46-year-old father-of-two continues to present his Sunday morning show on Classic FM.
The statement said: “Whilst he accepts that his behaviour over a decade ago was occasionally juvenile, as was that of others, he never intended to harass or distress and he strongly denies any inappropriate contact.
“He is, however, deeply sorry for any upset caused and hopes this matter is resolved soon.”
Mr Jones first found fame at the age of 12 when his re-recording of Walking In The Air, from animated Christmas film The Snowman, reached the top five of the UK charts in 1985.
The Welsh former choirboy received an MBE in 2013 for his services to music and broadcasting.
He was a contestant on Strictly Come Dancing in 2004 and has also appeared on TV shows including Daybreak, Escape To The Country and Cash In The Attic.
The Songs Of Praise presenter, 46, has denied allegations made in The Sun On Sunday that he sent inappropriate messages to a female colleague more than 10 years ago.
However, he has agreed to stay out of the limelight while a probe is under way.
A spokesman for Mr Jones said: “Whilst he accepts that his behaviour over a decade ago was occasionally juvenile, as was that of others, he never intended to harass or distress and he strongly denies any inappropriate contact.
“He is, however, deeply sorry for any upset caused and hopes this matter is resolved soon.”
The father-of-two found fame as a 12-year-old choirboy with the Christmas classic Walking In The Air and received an MBE in 2013 for services to music and broadcasting.
Cassidy shot to fame playing Keith Partridge in The Partridge Family – a 1970s sitcom about a mother and five children who formed a rock and roll band. The show spawned hit songs, such as I Think I Love You.
The former heartthrob went on to a hugely successful solo career as a singer and pop idol.
In recent years he has spoken about his struggles with alcohol.
In 2015 he filed for bankruptcy. Between 2010 and 2014, he was arrested three times for drunken driving, and was ordered to rehab as part of his sentence in 2014. He has divorced three times.
But she is not the first politician to dabble in reality TV.
Among the others are:
:: Ed Balls on Strictly Come Dancing
The former Labour MP made his reality TV debut in 2016 and unexpectedly won many fans, becoming the hit of the series.
Among his routines were a salsa to the Psy hit Gangnam Style but sadly the former shadow chancellor – who also found social media fame by using his first tweet to confirm his own name – was voted out in the 10th week of the series.
:: Michael Fabricant on First Dates
The Tory MP appeared on the celebrity edition of the programme, also in aid of Stand Up To Cancer.
His date with fantasy writer Jan didn’t go so smoothly though, after she mistook his hair for a wig. There were no romantic sparks.
:: George Galloway on Celebrity Big Brother
The former London mayoral candidate was on the show in 2006 and best remembered for his imitation of a cat, crawling on all fours, purring and pretending to lick cream from the hands of another contestant.
Perhaps not surprisingly, the performance drew some criticism.
:: Penny Mordaunt on Splash!
The recently-named International Development Secretary appeared on the diving show in 2014.
She too was criticised but responded by vowing to donate her £10,000 appearance fee plus any additional sponsorship to the renovation of her local lido and to armed services charities.
:: Edwina Currie on Strictly Come Dancing and I’m A Celebrity
The former Conservative MP did the double – Strictly Come Dancing in 2011 and I’m A Celebrity in 2014.
Her dancing skills didn’t impress – she was the first to be voted off but she fared somewhat better on I’m A Celebrity, braving gunge and Kendra Wilkinson to come in fourth.
:: Ann Widdecombe on Strictly Come Dancing
The former Maidstone MP danced up a storm with professional Anton Du Beke, lasting until the 10th week of competition, when she was voted off.
:: Sir Vince Cable on Strictly Come Dancing
The former business secretary appeared in the Christmas Special in 2010, even admitting to having had a “serious ambition” to appear on the programme.
:: Jeremy Corbyn on Gogglebox
The Labour leader appeared on the Channel 4 programme as part of the celebrity episode for Stand Up To Cancer.
He shared his views on TV shows and his recipe for coddled eggs.
He even shared his disdain for celebrity chef Nigella Lawson’s poached egg technique.
Murray Miller is accused of raping Aurora Perrineau in 2012, when she was 17 – a claim he has denied through his lawyer.
The allegations were made public on Friday and Dunham tweeted in his support, on behalf of herself and Girls executive producer Jenni Konner.
She had written: “…During every time of change there are also incidences of the culture, in its enthusiasm and zeal, taking down the wrong targets.
“We believe, having worked closely with [Miller] for more than half a decade, that this is the case with Murray Miller.
“While our first instinct is to listen to every woman’s story, our insider knowledge of Murray’s situation makes us confident that sadly this accusation is one of the 3 percent of assault cases that are misreported every year.”
Things women do lie about: what they ate for lunch. Things women don’t lie about: rape.
Dunham was widely criticised by Twitter users, many of whom retweeted a message she posted in August, which said: “Things women do lie about: what they ate for lunch. Things women don’t lie about: rape.”
Your are exactly what victims fear when they come forward. A trusted voice denying the possibility of the claim, providing character reference to a wolf in sheep’s clothing. Predators rely on people like you.
On Saturday, the Hollywood Reporter said she had tweeted an apology: “As feminists, we live and die by our politics, and believing women is the first choice we make every single day when we wake up.
“Therefore I never thought I would issue a statement publically (sic) supporting someone accused of sexual assault, but I naively believed it was important to share my perspective on my friend’s situation as it has transpired behind the scenes over the last few months.
“I now understand that it was absolutely the wrong time to come forward with such a statement and I am so sorry. We have been given the gift of powerful voices and by speaking out we were putting our thumb on the scale and it was wrong. We regret this decision with every fiber of our being.”
TheWrap, which broke the original story, said that Perrineau had filed a report with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.
In a statement reprinted by the Hollywood Reporter, Mr Miller’s lawyer Don Walerstein said: “Mr. Miller categorically and vehemently denies Ms Perrineau’s outrageous claims.
“After being contacted several weeks ago by lawyers who – on Ms Perrineau’s behalf – sought substantial monetary damages from him, Mr. Miller’s legal team gathered overwhelming evidence directly contradicting these false and offensive claims.
“Only after her demands for money were rebuffed did Ms Perrineau go to the police. Mr Miller looks forward to sharing all evidence and information with any and all authorities seeking the truth in this matter.”
Mr Miller is also known as having been a producer on the Fox animated comedies King Of The Hill and American Dad.